I made this old Hungarian favourite for two picnics this weekend, and they were a great success. I found the original recipe in Hungarian here. Next time I would add some salt.
You will need:
- 4 cups of whole wheat flour (or 3 c whole wheat and 1 c white)
- a small cabbage, shredded
- 1 cup of toasted flax seeds
- 1 teaspoon of bicarbonate di soda
- half a cup of cold pressed oil (I used olive oil)
- warm water
- 1-2 teaspoon of dried Summer savory (Lat: Satureja hortensis; Hun: borsikafű Fr: Sarriette; It: Satureia – optional, but this green herb gives it an exotic peppery taste)
Sautée the cabbage. Using all the other ingredients, make the dough, and mix in the cabbage. Flatten it, fold several times, than flatten it to the height you would like your scones to be (e.g. 1.5 cm) and make shapes with a cookie cutter, or just cut into small cubes. I baked them in an oven which was preheated to 180 Celsius for about 15 minutes (probe if they are ready). I made 34 scones, but it would depend on the size of the cookie cutter.